JUST days after a transformer exploded at Sampeng market sparking a fire that gutted four shophouses and killed two persons, a bunch of tangled electrical cables in front of Lat Phrao Soi 111 caught fire this morning (July 12), Thai Rath newspaper said.
At 7.21 a.m. after Phan Fah Radio and fire hotline 199 were alerted of these cables ablaze at the entrance of this alley, a Hua Mak Fire and Rescue Station team quickly went there on their fire engines but because of the rush hour it took them 20 minutes to reach this spot.
They found the fire raging near a footbridge and had spread across 10 metres of the power lines. The fire was burning the posts too as it raced along these lines. There were also sounds of explosions that scared road users.
The firemen sprayed water and soon put out the blaze after which they coordinated with Metropolitan Electricity Authority and relevant agencies to take corrective action.
At 2.25 a.m. Sunday some power lines caught fire after a transformer exploded in an alley at Mueang Chiang Mai’s Chang Phueak subdistrict with the blaze spreading through the neighbourhood, Amarin TV said.
The owner of the house where the explosion occurred, Sangduen Lek Chailert, broadcast the fire live on Facebook. Lots of people posted comments including some foreigners.
Later in the morning some reporters went to the scene of the fire and found that a few cable company technicians were repairing the lines.
Top: Cables ablaze in front of Lat Phrao soi 111 this morning. Photo: Thai Rath
Front Page: Fire races along power lines in a Chiang Mai neighbourhood on Sunday night. Photo: Amarin TV