A FIRE DRILL at Rajavinit Mathayom School in Dusit district turned into a tragedy when a carbon dioxide extinguisher exploded killing one student and injuring five others including a coach at 11.30 a.m. this morning (June 23), Thai Rath and Naewna newspapers said.
Metropolitan Police Chief Pol. Lt. Gen. Thiti Saengsawang and Nang Loeng station police team together with paramedics from Ramathibodi Hospital and rescuers from Ruamkatanyu Foundation quickly sent ambulances to the school while rushing there.
At the scene they found a male student wearing the school uniform dead in the corridor in front of the classrooms.
Of the five injured, four students and a coach, one of them was quickly taken to Vachira Hospital and another to Central Hospital with the rest being given first aid at the school.
Also found there were parts of the 15-pound carbon dioxide fire extinguisher that had exploded, other fire extinguishers and fire-fighting equipment.
It was reported that the secondary school had invited Samsen firefighters to demonstrate fire-fighting procedures and evacuation with this starting at 11 a.m. However when the firefighters opened the extinguisher to put out a fire they had lit to show the basic method of putting it out the gas leaked and it suddenly exploded sending the dead student flying 10 metres away where he died.
The school where a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher exploded killing a student and injuring five others including a coach. Photos: Thai Rath